Monday, June 12, 2006
An apple a day...
Well, the blog is finally up and running. There are still some stuff I'd like to tweak and I'm really not planning on leaving my links section like that. But I think its as nice as I can make it... ^_^

Anyway, I'm back from an impromptu trip to Hong Kong and of course, the first thing I do is plop myself in front of the PC and visit all my usual online haunts (which translates to me visiting the numerous forums I belong to). Well, aside from the general rants on the unfairness of life and the ton of news regarding several anime series, I stumbled upon an interesting bit of news. Apparently turning the comicbook world on its ears with this mess with the Infinite Crisis isn't enough for DC. They've decided to "adapt to the times" well, Marvel is doing that too, but apparently there is a bigger fuss over DC's updated "Batwoman" than anything Marvel has planned.

Why the fuss? Apparently, the new Batwoman, Kathy Kane, is supposed to be "a wealthy

the new Batwoman

Concept art for the
new Batwoman

(socialite), buxom lipstick lesbian who has a history with Renee Montoya, an ex-police detective who has a starring role in 52." That is a direct quote from an article featured in the New York Times entitled "Straight (and Not) Out of the Comics: At DC and Marvel Comics, new heroes are gay, black, Asian and Hispanic. Get used to it" well, the people posting their comments on this development have mixed feelings about it but the majority of them stated that they will approach this particular character cautiously; neither accepting her nor rejecting her outright. Many of them say that they'll wait to see how DC handles the newest member of the "Batclan" before making up their minds.

Personally, I'm with the cautious ones. I'm not a comicbook scholar so I'm really not that well informed with the DC continuity and I got into comic books purely because of my admiration for the former Bargirl, Barbara Gordon, and how she handled the transition from daring caped crusader to weheel-chair bound queen of the information super highway. The fact that she's more effective and vital in her current role as "Oracle" than she ever was as "Batgirl" amazes me to no end. (It also helps that her very own team is all female) Simply put, I'm a big, fan of strong female characters. I'm going to treat this newest addition to Gotham's nightlife with caution because of the comicbook world's horrible track record of handling their female characters. And I'm afraid that the "Women in Refrigerators Syndrome" might be the downfall of this new recruit. The lack of strong female characters in many genres considered to be for males is frustrating to someone who relishes seeing females kick arse. There are a precious few who write such characters, one of which is Gail Simone who is the author of the Birds of Prey comicbook series and another is my favorite author Tamora Pierce who is currently in the process of writing the new comic book White Tiger for Marvel.

Well the sad fate of women isn't limited to comic books and

Atalanta and Hippomenes

Image of Atalanta's race against
Hippomenes taken from Myth Man's Gallery

the story of Atalanta comes to mind. Here we have a very competent woman who is at the very least equal to if not better that the men of her times in the things that were classified as men's tasks. She was sought-after but she avoids being snagged in a way that asserts her competence. But in the end she eventually loses and is married to some guy all because he had the power of 'love' on his side and a bunch of golden apples.

Atalanta's story is one of my favorites because of the things I read into the story. First, we have Atalanta who is a competent woman. Next we have Hippomenes, a guy who decides he likes Atalanta on the basis of her abilities and her looks and on top of those two I think that her unattainable status played a big part on his decision to pursue her. Then we have the pesky goddes of love, Aphrodite who makes it her business to see to it that all women who swear off love find themselves married off. And last, we have the three irresistible golden apples (which i think symbolises qualities that Atalanta found irresistable). In the end, not only does she find herself married, but she also finds herself turned into a lion!

Well, I think that Atalanta is like many of the working women in today's society. They are the equal of their male counterparts and they know what they want. They value their independence and stave off the advances of men as long as they can. Then comes Hippomenes who just happens to decide to ruin the order of things. He'll appear at just the right time with all the right tools with the power of love on his side and some time later, our heroine will find herself married with a bunch of kids and a husband to tend to. Which really isn't my ideal Happily Ever After but I'm me and if I were one of those characters in a greek myth, I'd probably be one of those characters like Atalanta who sends Aphrodite into a frenzy because of my loudly proclaimed disinterest in finding love. But hey, maybe one of these days my very own Hippomenes with all the right combination of traits might one day show up to sweep me off my feet. But I sincerely hope that when that day comes, I won't have to give up the things I love to do just so we can get together. Maybe in that way, I'd end up with a better lot in life than poor Atalanta... (",)

For more information and to react to the new Batwoma, click here
To understand what I mean when I say "Women in Refrigerator Syndrome" visit this site.
To learn more about Tamora Pierce's stint with Marvel, I urge you to read this interview.

This is the reason I love Tammy (Tamora Pierce) so much: (This is taken from the above interview)
Newsarama: Tammy, first of all, we’d like to introduce you to the core comic book readers demographic, which is for the most part is perhaps somewhat an older and more male than your core audience as a novelist. You’re best known for writing young readers fantasy fiction often starring young female protagonists? Is that right?

Tamora Pierce: My base audience is usually readers 12 and up (“up” running between 40 and 80, over the last seven years or so). And I usually phrase it that I write girls who kick ass [laughs]…

Okay, around parents I say "Girls who kick butt." Parents are so delicate!
.
.
.
.

NRAMA: As mentioned earlier, the demographic of comic book readers is generally more adult and male. That said, will your series be geared towards what's become your core demo? Will this be written with younger, perhaps female readers in mind?

TP: You really must meet my regular audience sometime. You might want to wear armor.

Honestly, my regular audience is whoever keeps up with me. Tim and I will write White Tiger the way we always write - battle scenes, conspiracies, plot twists, and baskets of fluffy kittens.

Oh, wait. I don't do fluffy kittens. Scratch the kittens. As it were [laughs].

White Tiger plays with the big guys: Daredevil, Spider-Man, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, the Yakuza, and a truly nasty guy named Cobra, who wants to put a bone-crushing squeeze on her. And when this Tiger plays with the kind of bad guys that infest her neighborhood, they break. No more toys. Too bad there's more where they came from - but she's waiting for them, and she knows where they feed.

And look at what Gail Simone had to say:

Wow, a kickass female writer who writes kickass female action heroes?

I am so down for this. Can't wait to see it.

Gail
posted by Samantha @ 1:02 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At 6:25 PM, Blogger Ragnell said…

    Nice Atalanta point, I ahve to say I've never thought of her much in terms of comics.

    Since you're a Gordan fan, have you ever considered comparing Barbara to Persephone?

     
  • At 11:42 PM, Blogger 100LittleDolls said…

    Great post. And I have to say that I absolutely adore your Kaleido Star banner.

     
  • At 11:13 AM, Blogger Samantha said…

    @ragnell: Yup, I'm a Gordon fan. I have to say that I haven't really thought much about the parallelism between Persephone and Barbara but now that you've pinted it out, i can say that there is that similarity in how they both found the possibilities in the tragedy that befell them.

    I'm now going to have to read up on Persephone...hehe

    @100littledolls: Thanks. I just recently saw Kaleido Star and I loved it. Layla and Sora are wonderful characters.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
.
About Me

Name:Samantha
Aka:Alianne, firetiger_06
About Me:Anime fangirl, using a class requirement as a reason to create another blog which she promises to maintain unlike her many other blogs. A shoujo-ai fangirl hoping to see a shoujo-ai convention here in the Philippines. Likes eating noodles. Dreams of one day owning a chain of successful stores that sell Anime merchandise. Hates reading, watching, and hearing about damsels in distress and works really hard not to be one herself.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Layout

Hehe my current obession: Layla and Sora from Kaleido Star. I fooled around with some templates that can be found here The picture is a screencap from the series with some minor tweaks to it.

Ah, I just notice it when i was using IE to view this blog (I usually use firefox) The caption on the pics don't appear where they should when i view this page using Internet Explorer. They look fine when you view it with firefox. I'll have to look into it. ^_^;

Links
Fanlistings

Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER